Thursday 17 October 2013

The Dutch Pilgrim

Around the bend, I see a horse standing near the gate.  I stop to talk to him for a while. He is busy seeking out acorns amidst the leaves.  I pick up some on my side of the gate and offer him a handful.  His soft lips touches my hand and one for one he eats them. I pat him until he moves on.

Just up the road I see a solitary ostrich, so out of place here in this wet world, and I wonder if it longs for Africa's sun like I do.

I have walked in the rain for two days and have given up all together to stay dry.  I feel the water dripping from my jacket´s sleeve on to my hand. In the forest, the leaves are heavy from the rain and there is no shelter.

I first see the neck of the guitar wrapped in green plastic. I notice a fern leave tied to the bar handles of the bicycle.  Then I notice the bicycle and finally I recognise the pilgrim. It is the Dutch pilgrim on the bicycle with only three gears!

He recognises my shepherd´s crook.  Coming back from Santiago? I ask.  He says that he has been to Santiago and is now on his way back to Holland, for he needs to attend to some matters.

And when he speaks about the cathedral and how beautiful it is, his voice falters from emotion and he puts his hand on his heart.  He tells me that he is a drug abuser and that he needs to go back to Holland to do a four month jail sentence, but first he wanted to complete the Camino.  His parents do not know about the jail sentence and while he is doing it, he wants them to think that he is still somewhere on the Camino. And then he adds:  And when I come out of jail, I will be a new person.

We clasp our arms like the Roman soldiers of old, and wish each other a warm Buen Camino! knowing it will be the last time that we will see each other. He blows me a kiss before riding off.  I turn to look at him, but see only the neck of the guitar, an arm stretched out waving. Buen Caminooooooo! he sings.

I realise then that we do not know each other´s name, and that it is also not important.

I pray that he will travel safely and that after completing his jail time, become a man of sober  habits. My hope is that he will choose to follow Him, the only Way, for all his days to come.

Buen Camino!

Jovita

17 October 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment