Monday 4 November 2013

The Greatness of a Nation...

and its moral progress can be judge by the way its animals are treated.  Gandhi

Most dogs on the route I walked in Spain are either chained or caged.  It is a sad picture to see and my heart goes out to these animals.  As a species, we have failed miserably towards all other life forms that have been entrusted to us.  I am completely against animals being chained, caged, used in circuses, for fighting, in laboratories, or any other form that does not dignify the life of that living creature, for "The question is not 'Can they reason?' Nor 'Can they talk?' But 'Can they suffer?' " Jeremy Bentham, Philosopher.

On a rainy day, I see a cross breed Boarder Collie tied to a tree.  There is no shelter, food or water.  As I pass, he stands up and shakes the water off his drenched coat.  He looks at me with loving eyes and I so wish that I could do something for him.  My first instinct is to cut him loose and take him with me.  But I know it is not possible and I feel completely hopeless.  

But where there is despair there is always hope.  

As I walk down the road of the small village, I notice a dog outside the Albergue with his little backpack. Later on, his German mistress is trying to apply some eye drops. I ask if I can help. Hold his paws please, she says.  She tells me that they have been travelling since January 2011 and are now making their way back to Germany. She carries a tent in case they cannot find an Albergue that will take animals.  His name is Mambo.

A pilgrim walking in front of me wears a long coat and tied to his back pack is the leash of his small dog.  As I pass them I say hello. The next day, as I head out of town in the early morning, I see that they are sleeping on a street corner.  I would see them many days later in Santiago, sleeping close to the cathedral, as I make my way to attend the early mass.  Later that day, as I do my last shopping, we walk towards each other.  I remember the dog.  He recognises my staff.  Felicitations! he says to me. Congratulations to you too! I say. He points to his dog. 'Amigo'!, gesturing that the dog is also to be congratulated.  I couldn't agree more. And as I go about my way, I wonder how many times they have slept on a street corner when they could find no Albergue that would allow dogs.

At the Albergue in the small village, I look through the window and see a horse under a tree. It wasn't there when I arrived.  I go out to investigate and find that she and her owner are making their way to Sarria, to meet up with others and together march to Santiago.  Her name is Boira, a Catalan word for mist - how appropriate, for Boira is white.  And as they they pass me the next day, I shout Buen Camino Boira! Boira flicks her tail.  And when I see horse shoe markings on the the road in the days to come, I cannot help but wonder if they belong to Boira.

I have done my rounds in the village built around the monastery and walking back, I notice that a pilgrim coming towards me is carrying his medium size dog on top of his back pack!  It is a rather odd picture but I see that the dog is enjoying his vantage point. I cannot help but smile. On my way the next morning, I spot them sleeping in the park.

When I see how loving pilgrims are towards their travel companions, I so wish that more people would be kinder towards the creatures with whom we share this planet and the words of Mark Twain 'The more I know about people, the better I like my dog'  have never made so much sense to me.

Buen Camino!

Jovita 

23 October 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment