Sunday 29 September 2013

La Via Lactea

It is dark and raining as I take to the road for yet another day. As I come to an intersection, I can see no visible markings.  Another pilgrim joins me and together we find an arrow, made of stones in the grass, pointing to the right.  He is a young man from Catalonia, and as we chat, he reveals a little secret of the Camino.

He tells me that the road to Santiago, from Puente la Reina, where various routes come together,  is parallel to the Milky Lane.  The pale arm of the Milky Way points to the edge of the - then - known world, where the sun went down:  to Cape Finistere.

This I did not know and somehow it makes this journey even more special.  I think of three Wise Men that once followed a Star.

In the cathedral of Burgos I am in awe of the beauty it contains and  marvel the the architecture and detail of the building.  It is very busy with tourists and pilgrims, and I cannot still my mind. 

I meet a pilgrim at a water fountain.  He is Sergei, from Russia and cannot speak any other language.  As I say my name and stretch out my hand, he takes my hand and kisses it in the most chivalrously way!  What a most unexpected gesture! We communicate a little with sign language but he is, I think, desperate for some conversation, and tells me about the countries he has visited.  I can only make out the names. He tells me many stories - I just nod and smile. At the next village, I signal that I will sleep there, he smiles and shows and he will carry on walking. 

And so it is that some pilgrims are on our path for a brief moment, to reveal a secret of The Way, to show a lady that chivalry can be found in the most unusual of places, or just to listen to a pilgrim in need of companionship.

Buen Camino!

Jovita

29 September 2013

jovita.stander@gmail.com
+27 82 499 0173






2 comments:

  1. Jovita, jy maak ons baie jaloers, geniet dit en onthou ons stap saam met jou.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jovita jys waarlik n inspirasie Xxxx

    ReplyDelete