Saturday 21 September 2013

Many Ways

As I walk alone my thoughts turn to the conversation I had, others that I listen to, and the reasons people do the Camino.  Some come in groups, others with a spouse, a man brings his dog, a Border Collie, others come alone, a young man to find his path in life, some come for donkeys, yet others come again. And it is a blessing to meet Igor, a donkey on his way with his French master.

The reasons are all different, but the path is one, and on the dirt road, through the forests and farmland we learn to value the more simple things in life - a hot bath, a soft bed, home cooked food.  That less is more and to be happy, little material possessions are needed.

I eat handfuls of berries that grow wild along the road - antioxidants on the go! And where a beautiful horse is close to the fence, I empty my two bottles of water into his water bucket for it is dry.

A young girl picks up rubbish on the path as she makes her way to Santiago - a random act of kindness.

When I walk through the streets of Pamplona, a priest  looks at my staff and I stop to talk to him. He is surprised to learn that I am from Africa.  He blesses me with the sign of the cross and puts his hand on my forehead and prays for protection on my way.  As I say goodbye he promises to keep me and my loved one in his prayers,  and the donkeys as well.  And just like that, amongst the traffic and people, a busy street of Pamplona became a church.

The Way makes me see things I had forgotten.  I walk slower now.  I stop often to smell the wild flowers, taste some of the ripe grapes in hues of dark purple hanging in the vineyards, sit for a moment besides an old water fountain, listen to the distant toll of the bells, and sing a song of praise.  

Buen Camino!  

Jovita

21 September 2013

1 comment:

  1. Jovita , és realmente uma Grande Mulher, uma Grande Lutadora, uma Corajosa Mulher que luta pelo que acredita.
    Jovita estou muito ,muito orgulhosa de ter como amiga
    Paula Figueiredo

    ReplyDelete